Thursday, November 19, 2009

Response to Cultural Diplomacy Conference

I thought that the conference was very interesting because of the way that the panel and speakers talked about culture. The way that they discussed culture was very much like a product. I think that the idea of culture is much too complex to put in a box like that. For example, the woman who was talking about the artwork displayed in the U.S embassay in a European country wasn't talking about the merits of the artwork to the U.S, but how the artwork was used to make the United States look better. I don't like the idea of the United States 'faking' culture in order to make our culture look better. I disagree with the fact that we will have a more favorable view in the country just because the people can see a work of art in our embassy. The way to spread good messages about our culture may be through the arts, but should be through interactions with people, not just display.

1 comment:

  1. I also believe that possibly the nation's "lack of culture" is possibly our culture. We should be proud of what we have and who we are and that should define us.
    Once again, I am going to bring up the fact that I am from Texas. When people hear that I am from Texas and I am proud to admit that I am. However, people ask if I rode a horse to school or if I lived on a farm, and I say no. I am proud to be from Texas simply because I am from Texas and we are known to have pride. That is all I need.

    ReplyDelete